…until it’s gone. Wings Over Scotland is normally protected by a brilliant spam filter called Akismet, which blocks the constant flood of fake comments that assails every website on the internet. Akismet has filtered out 1,496,404 of these attempts to sell you counterfeit fashion, hardcore porn sites and attempts to steal your bank details since we started, in amongst the 120,297 real comments we’ve published in that time.
Last night it suffered a temporary outage, with the result that the four or five “pending” comments we usually wake up to in the morning – ones Akismet thinks are spam but isn’t 100% certain about, and so puts in a queue for us to look at manually – have been replaced today by 1,877 (and rising – an hour ago it was just over 1,000).
Here’s what this means for you.
1. If you posted a comment after about 1am this morning and it hasn’t appeared yet, it might not make it. We don’t have time to manually filter almost 2000 comments, so anything that Akismet doesn’t catch up with will get mass-deleted.
2. If you post a comment this morning that finds itself in the moderation queue for any reason, it might suffer the same fate. So be EXTRA-careful about:
– comments with multiple links in them
– comments with huge quotes from other websites
– comments with “signatures”. If you always put “Saor Alba” or “Alba gu brath” or “VOTE YES” or any such things at the end of your posts, those are automatically added to the mod queue so we can edit the sig out before they appear.
(Because folk don’t want to be bombarded with slogans all day, especially for things they almost certainly agree with already. Stop doing that, people. And while we’re here, stop signing your flipping name at the end as well. We KNOW it’s you, the comment’s ALREADY GOT YOUR NAME ON IT.)
– anything else that breaches our comment rules.
Otherwise, normal service should hopefully be resumed later this morning. Apologies.