Running total (updated daily): £28,920 of £29,796 (97.1%).
Donations in last 24 hours: £886.
Our fundraiser has now been running for just over a month, and we’re into the last few days. We’re still staggered by the generosity of our wonderful readers, who have already secured the future of the site for some considerable time and funded the move to our shiny new internet home, as well as some other small investments to enhance the quality of our news coverage.
(We’re not sure if it’s a coincidence that our number of unique readers shot up by 25% overnight when we made the host switch, but many workplaces automatically ban sites with the word “game” anywhere in their URL – as our old address did – and it would be a remarkable statistic if the new domain name had made that much of a difference. If so, take a moment to marvel at the power of even the most modest donation, and thank yourselves again on our behalf.)
As we’ve noted before, our humbled amazement at the phenomenal amount already raised is tempered only by the fact that this incredible sum has come from just 2% of the site’s readership. But rather than nag the other 98% of readers some more, we thought this might be a good time to try to find out why.
Have you contributed to "One Pound For WingsLand"?
- Yes, I have. (75%, 403 Votes)
- No, but I plan to before the end of the campaign. (9%, 51 Votes)
- No - I oppose independence and only read it to monitor "the enemy". (7%, 37 Votes)
- No - I can't spare any money right now. (6%, 31 Votes)
- No - some other reason. (Please detail in comments.) (2%, 11 Votes)
- No - it's okay for free but I don't think it's worth anything. (1%, 3 Votes)
- No - other similar sites also want donations and I chose to fund them instead. (0%, 1 Votes)
Total Voters: 537
As we’ve said previously, times are incredibly tough for a lot of people right now, and we absolutely DON’T want anyone sending us money they can’t afford. We’ve been in situations (and not too long ago) where even £1 was a big deal, and nobody who doesn’t have the cash to spare should feel the least bit bad about not donating.
There are countless other ways to help this site (and the cause of independence in general) that are every bit as valuable – spread links, post comments, tip us off about stories, submit articles for publication. Or just read what we post here and talk about it to people out there in the real world away from the internet. Because if we get the truth to people before autumn 2014, we WILL win.